Free Agency is on a mission to empower people to reach the highest levels of their career potential. We work with talent to break the information and process asymmetries holding them back from doing more, making more, and being more. We’ve raised over $15M from world-class investors like Maveron, Resolute Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman’s Thirty Five Ventures, Palm Tree Crew, and more.
Free Agency brings Hollywood-style career management to knowledge workers, starting with the tech industry. We provide concierge services and digital products to help people find incredible jobs, make more money, and become high-performing leaders. Unlike solutions in recruiting, we’re entirely paid by the talent we work with, which enables us to provide them with dedicated Talent Agents to manage “the business end” of their career. Talent success becomes our success.
To date, we’ve helped hundreds of professionals negotiate over $250 million in offers, and work with talent building the cutting-edge future in the startup and tech industry.
About the job:
We’re looking to expand our roster of Talent Agents with senior-level hires. In our context, this title is interchangeable with Account Manager.
You’ll join an ambitious team that spends its days partnering with leaders, operators, and promising newcomers within the tech and startup ecosystem. You’ll manage their searches for new jobs, as well as contribute to their ongoing career development.
You’ll own a book of business composed of people in product, design, marketing, engineering, and other functional areas within tech. Some of them will already be at incredible companies, whether larger players like Amazon and Stripe or smaller startups in fintech, mobility, and ecommerce. Some will already be later in their careers, while others will be beginning the journey.
Primarily, you’ll spend your time helping these individuals get a better job, faster, and for more pay. You’ll help them do work they daydream about, at workplaces they admire, and in line with their long-term ambitions. Every day, you’ll massively accelerate someone’s career.
This role is flexible in seniority based on a candidate’s experience and capabilities.
- Onboard and manage clients (Free Agents), collaborating closely with them on the hunt for their ideal job. You’ll quarterback the process of helping them find and win that job, staying up to date on their roles and industries along the way.
- Run a variety of Free Agency playbooks in service of your clients, including career discovery, network introductions, interview prep, and offer negotiation support.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources to help your clients, including executive coaches, management trainers, subject matter experts, and operational staff.
- Develop new methods of super-boosting your clients’ careers. Free Agency is just over two years old, and while things are going excellently, we know that the best is yet to come.
- Research and stay tuned to the startup and tech industry at large, understanding trends and people in venture capital, employment, sub-industries, and recruiting can influence careers and outcomes.
- Manage a Talent Enablement Assistant who will help you track, coordinate, and manage activity across your book of business.
- Possess extremely strong written communication skills, as many of your wins will be related to your ability to persuade or coach others through email or Slack.
- Bring strong detail-orientation and organizational skills to properly track many moving pieces to a high-stakes relationship.
- Strong plus: interest or familiarity with the tech and startup industry, capable of advising your clients on top companies, key players, and emerging trends.
You may want to know:
- Free Agency thrives in the office environment. We believe that these early startup years are best spent in close proximity to maximize our odds of innovating and changing the world. We have a spacious location in Flatiron and host events for our community & tech partners — we even have a podcast studio.
- Team safety is a priority. We perform COVID testing multiple times weekly and require vaccinations for employees and guests. Our office is also equipped with industrial grade HEPA filters.
- Free Agency offers competitive pay and significant employee ownership via equity. We also offer 100% coverage across medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Free Agency’s Refresher program recognizes that our fast-paced work environment is enabled by proper time off. Accordingly, we have company-wide recharge weeks and offer generous PTO.
- Free Agency’s Boost program is how we invest in all careers, not just those of our clients. Employees receive a $2,000 professional development budget to spend on outside books, workshops, programs, coaches, courses, etc. to develop their skills and grow as leaders.
- Core to our mission is expanding diversity & inclusion within tech. Accordingly, we encourage candidates from underrepresented + nontraditional backgrounds to apply.
Why Free Agency matters:
Job search and career progression are broken. Candidates haphazardly apply to jobs, meet only a few companies, settle during offer negotiation, and generally don’t optimize the process of moving along in their careers. As a result, Free Agency believes that everyone is undercompensated.
That doesn’t just have to do with the money we make, but also the teams we’re a part of, the type of work we get to do, and the alignment to mission along the way. All of this has an impact on our own satisfaction, health, and financial wellness, but we don’t give it the attention it deserves.
By aligning incentives with individual talent, Free Agency is enabled to build first-of-their-kind products & services and define a new category of career management.
The compensation for this role is $80,000 - $110,000 in base salary, depending on years of relevant experience + a significant potential for incentive compensation + equity.